At first, roof care seems simple: it either works or it does not. But many roofing problems unfold slowly and may spring from diverse factors. Luckily, you can learn to recognize symptoms of disrepair and thereby prevent critical damages.
If you believe that your roof is damaged, or you want to learn more about roofing maintenance, contact Augustine Roofing. Our professional roofing repair service and our new roof installation service are available across Fairfax County, VA. We also install skylights, windows, siding, and gutters at affordable prices. Contact us today, and we can provide you with a free quote for your project.
To help you spot roofing damage, we describe a variety of indicators below:
To begin, we will consider the element comprising every roof’s outermost layer: shingles. Multiple types of shingles are on the market and each has benefits and drawbacks. However, we will focus on asphalt shingles since they are the most popular and affordable type nationwide.
Compared to metal and slate, asphalt shingles have the shortest lifespan. Although waterproof and resilient to hail and snow, they can degrade when temperatures fluctuate. The following kinds of damage indicate that your asphalt shingles should be replaced:
- Curled, cracked, or chipped appearance.
- A “dark and dirty” look, which usually means the shingles have soaked up moisture.
- The shedding of the shingles’ granules, which may accumulate in your home’s gutters.
But evidence of roof damage may be found in more than just shingles. While it may appear externally, damage can also manifest inside your home. And the further in that water damage appears, the greater the need becomes to address it:
- Water damage around chimneys, vents, and pipes where moisture has seeped in. These are weaker points in your structure and you should check them thoroughly.
- Blistering or peeling paint, either inside or outside your home, may signal either leaks or poor attic ventilation.
- Staining on walls and/or ceilings may lead back to a moisture issue in your attic (though water can seep in other places too).
- Sagging rafters or other structural pieces may be soaked with water. They will sag more noticeably as they become progressively heavier.
Finally, two other factors can signal that your roof is damaged:
- Water appearing in your attic may signal a leaky roof. But water can also come from poorly installed flashing or an open vent.
- Higher energy bills may result from warm or cool air escaping through a leaky roof. However, air leaks may come from several places, so a house-wide inspection is called for.
Augustine Roofing: Your Roofing Repair Service Experts in Fairfax County, VA
Whether you require a roofing repair service or new roof installation, Augustine Roofing has you covered. Our friendly customer service has won clients throughout Fairfax County, VA. We offer high-quality products, including GAF asphalt shingles, at reasonable rates. Call us today at (703) 281-7663 or fill out our online form for a free estimate!